Saturday, March 11, 2017

Minor Setbacks and Changes

Originally, for the actual research and data collection part of my project, I planned to use the Brainology program to teach growth mindsets and grit to students. However, when I went onto their website I found that to get the program it costs 20 dollars per student and $6,000 per school. Now, I don't expect ASU or any school to match these prices because they are simply too high.

I recently read a paper on the impact teachers have on factors such as grit and growth mindset, so my new plan is to interview teachers to find out what their mindset is and what they already know about this style of teaching. Then I will go into classrooms and find out what students know about this concept and see if their mindsets are similar to their teachers. I will also poll other factors such as classroom engagement and student enjoyment of the class. Then I will work on creating my own lesson plans and curriculum to teach this mindset.

This will allow me to see how much of an impact a teacher's mindset has on the students, and if my assumptions are correct, it will allow me to create a top-down approach that will be more streamlined and effective.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nic, I like how systematic your process is for this experiment. It would be interesting to see if there is a different mindset in gifted and regular classes. What kind of schools will you visit, and what grades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually exactly what I'm thinking about doing. If possible I want to compare BASIS schools to normal public schools. Also, I'm going to be working with 7th graders because this is usually the grade that school tends to become more impersonal and difficult.

      Delete