Monday, April 3, 2017

What the Interviews tell us about Grit and Growth Mindset in Schools

From the interviews, I can start to conclude that teachers need to be made aware of these concepts and the ways to teach them.

Some of the teachers that I interviewed were actually already implementing strategies but were not aware that were doing so. By making teachers aware of these strategies they can recognize what they are already doing and what they need to be doing.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to find time outside of class or integrate a few lessons about goal setting into the curriculum. This would tricky in higher grades, especially in AP classes, because of time restrictions. One of the teachers I interviewed suggested having short five to ten-minute meetings during lunch for one on one goal setting.

However, I don't want to make any wild claims yet because I have only interviewed BASIS high school teachers. Tomorrow I am going to Palomino Primary to interview some elementary teachers to get their opinions on these strategies, this will also give me a new angle on my research because Palomino is in a low-income area. It will be interesting to see if the SES effects classroom culture or student motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment