Saturday, February 25, 2017

Writing Begins

As week three comes to a close, I've started to write my research paper. I'm anticipating that this will take me up to four weeks to complete. So far I've written my section on the definitions I use in my paper and the socioeconomic affects of a growth mindset and grit in minority and poorer populations.

The next big section that I will be focusing on is the curriculum, in this section I plan to talk about the gender differences with grit and growth mindsets, creating a classroom culture, lesson plans, and how we should change the way we praise our students.

Sorry for the short blog post this week, I don't want to give too much away!

4 comments:

  1. What information are you going to use as concrete data within your research paper? Are you going to pull from your own experience and internship or from published sources?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the data in the lit review part of the research paper will be from other researchers and my own theories. For actual data, I plan on using teacher feedback and reviews of their own students. This would be something along the lines of judging student engagement and motivation in the classroom. For quantitative data, ideally, I would like to use grades to track progress and questionaries to gauge how the student's outlooks are changing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nic! Are you able to give us a little insight on what you hope to prove useful? I know you don't want to give anything away, but at least a little teaser? I'd love to get an idea of what you have decided to include in your research/curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to preface this by saying that I haven't gotten this far into my planning yet so all of this is subject to change.

      For the curriculum, I plan to work with students from one school a day (One on Monday, Tuesday, etc). While I am not at schools I will rely on teacher's observations on student motivation and performance.

      In my actual research I want to look at several different facets of grit and growth mindset. For example, if there is a significant amount of minority students, I would like to see how these lessons impact them. Additionally, I will also be looking at gender to see if differences exist there.

      Delete